28 Nov Remedying Nighttime Tossing and Turning
There are a few forms of sleep issues that are unfortunately quite common among many people, and the realm of tossing and turning is one of the top examples. Many people move around to varying degrees while trying to sleep, and this can disturb sleep quality to varying degrees depending on the nature and scope of the issue – but there are solutions out there.
At 2 Brothers Mattress, we’re here to assist clients around Salt Lake City, Provo, American Fork and nearby areas of Utah with all their sleep product and comfort needs, from quality mattresses to adjustable bed frames, sleep accessories and more. Here are some of the main reasons tossing and turning can be an issue for some people during sleep, plus the best ways to remedy these concerns and get a great night of sleep every evening.
One of the most common reasons people toss and turn during sleep is a simply uncomfortable environment. There are several specific examples of this concept:
- Old or improper mattress: If your mattress is old, lumpy or otherwise uncomfortable, it’s no surprise that you’re tossing and turning trying to get comfortable. Mattresses should typically be replaced every 8-10 years for maximum comfort.
- Temperature: Both too warm and too cold temperatures can hinder sleep quality and lead to tossing and turning. Temperatures well over 75 degrees or below 54 degrees are often the culprits here.
- Noise: Loud or inconsistent noise levels can also disturb sleep and lead to tossing and turning. White noise machines or earplugs can help in these cases.
- Air quality: Poor air quality, including dry or stuffy air, can also be a factor in tossing and turning. An air purifier or humidifier may help improve sleep quality.
Your mattress, in particular, is a crucial factor in creating a comfortable sleep environment. A quality mattress that properly supports your body and sleeping preferences can make all the difference in eliminating tossing and turning during the night.
Stress or Anxiety
Another common cause of tossing and turning during sleep is stress or anxiety. When we’re worried or anxious, our bodies produce adrenaline which can hinder our ability to relax and fall asleep. If you find yourself constantly tossing and turning due to stress or anxiety, try some relaxation techniques before bed such as deep breathing, meditation, or writing in a journal.
Again, this is an area where the right mattress and sleep accessories can make a big difference. A comfortable, relaxing environment can help ease stress and anxiety and promote better sleep.
Underlying Medical Conditions
In some cases, tossing and turning during sleep may be a symptom of an underlying medical condition. Some common examples include sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, or chronic pain. If you suspect that your tossing and turning is due to a medical condition, it’s important to consult with a doctor for proper diagnosis and treatment.
There are also some causes of tossing and turning that we have at least some level of control over, and one of these is overstimulation before bed. Using electronic devices such as phones or laptops close to bedtime can make it harder for our brains to relax and fall asleep. Try limiting screen time before bed and engaging in a calming activity instead.
In many ways, this concept gets back to that of sleep environment. Creating a relaxing and calm space before bed can greatly improve sleep quality and reduce tossing and turning.
One particular cause of overstimulation that’s worth its own mention is caffeine consumption. Consuming caffeine too close to bedtime can make it harder for our bodies to relax and fall asleep. Be mindful of your caffeine intake and try to avoid drinking caffeinated beverages within a few hours of bedtime.
Wrong (Or Missing) Sleep Accessories
For many people, the right sleep accessories can make all the difference in reducing tossing and turning. Some examples include:
- Pillows: The wrong pillow can put strain on your neck and shoulders, leading to discomfort and tossing and turning. Make sure you have a pillow that properly supports your head and neck.
- Mattress toppers: If your mattress is too firm or too soft for your preferences, a mattress topper can help provide additional support or cushioning.
- Adjustable bed frames: As mentioned earlier, adjustable bed frames can be a game changer for those who struggle with tossing and turning. Being able to adjust the position of your bed can greatly improve not only comfort but also breathing and circulation during sleep.
At 2 Brothers Mattress, we offer a variety of high-quality sleep products and accessories to help you eliminate tossing and turning for good. Contact us today to learn about how we assist clients around SLC, Provo, American Fork and nearby areas with all their mattress and sleep needs!