01 Nov Choosing Between a King and a Queen
If you’re in the market for a new bed, you have several decisions to make. At 2 Brothers Mattress, we have numerous options in every area, including price, brand, style and many others.
One of the most important considerations here? The size of your new mattress. For many adults, this comes down to a choice between a king mattress and a queen mattress – what are the basics on each of these sizes, and why might you go about choosing one or the other?
The standard queen is 60 inches in width and 80 inches in length. It’s five inches longer and seven inches wider than a full-size bed, and can be used for both couples and individuals – each couple will get about 30 inches of space.
A king bed, generally best suited for couples, is 76 inches in width and 80 inches in length. When a couple sleeps on a king, it’s the equivalent of each person sleeping on their own XL twin bed.
Some other size variations of these two include:
- Olympic queen: Expanded to a 66-inch width
- California queen: Waterbed mattresses that are pretty tough to find these days, but measure 60 inches in width and 84 inches in length
- Split queen: A queen bed with a split down the middle
- California king: Narrower but longer than a traditional king mattress – 72 inches wide and 84 inches long
- Split king: A standard king, but two inches wider and split down the middle
Why Choose a Queen?
- You have a smaller room: Couples with smaller spaces might choose a queen to allow extra room for furniture
- You like to cuddle: 30 inches of mattress means it won’t be tough to cuddle up with your partner
- You want to save: Queen mattresses are a good deal cheaper than king mattresses, and their corresponding bed frames, sheets and mattress protectors will also be cheaper.
Why Choose a King?
- You have a big room to fill: Kings are generally the best fit for master bedrooms
- You like personal space: There’s more bed space on a king
- You can afford it: Kings are more expensive, and also consider additional items you’ll have to buy
For more on choosing the right size mattress, or to find out about any of our other options for mattresses, speak to the pros at 2 Brothers Mattress today.