05 Jan How to Shop for a Mattress Like a Pro
There are a few high-value items where nailing down an effective shopping technique can be enormously valuable for both your bank account and the quality of the item itself, and a mattress purchase is a great example. With so many varieties of mattresses out there, from different brands and materials to varying sizes, cost ranges and more, you have a lot to think about when it comes to a mattress purchase – and knowing how to go about this process can help quite a bit.
At 2 Brothers Mattress, we’re happy to offer our clients around Salt Lake City, Provo, American Fork and other parts of Utah an extensive range of mattress products and accessories from various top brands, including Tempur-Pedic, Serta and many others. Here are some basic tips on how to shop for mattress like a pro, ensuring you get the best possible product for the best possible deal.
Laying Out Your Budget
Naturally, like any other high-value item you’re planning to purchase, you want to make sure you’re getting the best value for your hard-earned money. This is why it’s important to decide on a budget before shopping for a mattress.
As you’re doing this, there are several factors to consider:
- Bedroom size and layout: Consider the size of your bedroom and how much space you’re willing to allocate for a mattress. This will help you decide on the size and type of mattress that fits well in your space while still leaving enough room for other furniture.
- Material: As mentioned, there are various types of mattresses – including foam, latex, hybrid, etc. Each material has its own benefits and drawbacks, so it’s important to do your research and determine which one best suits your needs and preferences.
- Cost: Of course, cost plays a major role in any purchase – including mattresses. Determine how much you’re willing to spend on a mattress and stick to that budget while browsing through different options.
Another important bit of advanced planning to do before shopping for a mattress is figuring out your preferred sleep position. This will help you determine the type of mattress that best suits your needs and provides optimal support for your body. Here’s a quick guide:
- Side sleeper: Those who prefer sleeping on their side typically need a softer, more cushioned mattress to provide relief to pressure points.
- Back sleeper: People who sleep on their back usually require a firmer mattress to maintain proper spinal alignment and provide adequate support for the lower back.
- Stomach sleeper: For stomach sleepers, a medium-firm mattress is usually recommended, as it prevents the hips from sinking too much and helps keep the spine in a neutral position.
If you typically sleep alone, determining your preferred sleep position should be easy. However, if you share a bed with someone who has a different sleeping style than you do – which is quite common – consider looking for mattresses that offer split firmness options to cater to the needs of both individuals.
We mentioned materials above, and this is one of the most important aspects to consider when shopping for a mattress. The material will not only affect how comfortable and supportive the mattress is, but also its durability, motion isolation, temperature regulation and other factors that can greatly impact your sleep quality. Here are some key points to keep in mind:
- Memory foam: This popular choice offers superb pressure relief and motion isolation, making it great for couples or restless sleepers. However, some may find it too warm to sleep on.
- Innerspring: This traditional type of mattress offers good support and little motion transfer, but may not be ideal for pressure relief.
- Latex foam: This material provides a bouncy, responsive feel while still contouring to the body’s shape – making it an ideal choice for those who prefer a bit of both support and cushioning.
- Hybrid: Combining different materials, such as foam and coils, hybrids offer the benefits of each material in one mattress. However, they may also come at a higher cost.
Trying Out Various Mattresses
If you’re unsure about what type of mattress will work best for you, it’s always a good idea to try out various options in person. This is especially important if you’re shopping for a new type of material you’ve never slept on before.
At 2 Brothers Mattress, we encourage our customers to take their time and try out different mattresses in our showroom before making a final decision. This allows you to gauge the comfort, support, and other factors that are important to you in a mattress.
Shopping for a mattress doesn’t have to be overwhelming or intimidating. With these tips in mind, you can go about the process confidently and ultimately make an informed decision on which mattress is best for your needs. Remember, at 2 Brothers Mattress, we’re always here to help you find the perfect mattress for a good night’s sleep, whether you’re in SLC, Provo, American Fork or any nearby area of Utah. Contact us today for help with any of our mattresses store products!